TrackAbout’s Roll-Off Container Tracking Software is a cloud-based system for tracking roll-off containers. Perfect for companies managing greater than 50 assets, TrackAbout enables you to track the location and history of your bins using barcodes and smartphones.
Industries benefiting from the TrackAbout platform include:
- Dumpster Rental
- Waste Management
- Environmental services
How Does it Work?
The high-level steps are :
1. Put barcode labels on your bins
2. Scan barcodes using a TrackAbout mobile app when you drop off a bin
3. Manage bins from a browser
What it does and does not do
What it Does
- Allow your people to scan bins using a smartphone when they drop them off or pick them up.
- Capture proof of delivery including: GPS coordinates, timestamp and customer signature
- Map of all bins (as of the last time you scanned them)
- Show how long each bin has been with each customer. Find bins that are overdue.
- Discourage theft
- Allows you to control what users can see and do in the system.
What it Does NOT Do
- Locate stolen bins
- Bill customers
- Track trucks
- Route drivers to bins
- Show a map of bins from the smartphone app. You must go to the website to see these maps.
- TrackAbout will sell you barcode labels and ship them to you when you sign-up.
- Two identical labels go on each roll-off container
- Each label has a scannable QR Code Barcode and a printed number
- Both the QR Code and printed number are the same
- If a user can’t scan the barcode he can key in the number
- Both contain a ‘check digit’ which prevents the system from taking in an incorrect entry.
- The barcodes are industrial strength
- Rated for 7 years of outside use in direct sun
- Strong material resistant to tearing
- Permanent adhesive for attaching to painted metal in hot and cold climates
- Labels are 2.7 inches x 3.5 inches (6.8cm x 8.8cm)
Barcode Label Placement
- Place 2 identical label stickers on each roll-off container
- Place where they are easy for the driver to scan
Download the TrackAbout Mobile App
- Scanning is done from TrackAbout’s mobile app
- It works on Android and Apple devices
- The app is free to download, but you will need a paid TrackAbout subscription to get a login to use it
- Download the app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store
- Both phones and tablets are supported
- If your devices were purchased in the last 3 years, then you should not have any problems. A more complete description of supported devices can be found here.
Scan Using the Mobile App
- The app will use the device’s camera to scan
- Every scan will also collect
- GPS position on a map
- Person logged into the device
When to Scan
- Use the app to initially register each bin
- Scan each bin every time you move it
- Register bin
- Used to link a barcode to a bin’s size and serial number. Only done once for each bin
- Used to exchange bins with a customer
- Set location
- Used to drop off a bin at an internal location.
- Record the weight dumped (optional)
- Change barcode
- Used if the barcodes on a bin must be replaced. This keeps the history together for this bin even after the barcode changes.
Roll-Off Tracking Website
- You access your data from TrackAbout’s secure website
- You will get a login to the website once you sign up
- You can create as many other users as you want
View Dumpsters on a Map
- View the last scan location of each of your bins on a map
- Zoom in and out to the right level of detail
- See this history of scans for each dumpster
- If a bin is damaged, you can see which customer previously had it
- Run reports on the website to see your dumpster inventory
- Limit to just dumpsters of a certain size
- Find dumpsters that have been at a customer for more than a given number of days
- Save a set of parameters so that you can more quickly run the same report in the future.
Digital Proof of Delivery/Pickup
- View an electronic record for each roll-off scan
- Prove to a customer where and when a delivery or pickup happened
- Each delivery will have:
- A system-generated date and time stamp
- A GPS coordinate shown on a map
- The scans of the barcode on the bin
- The user who did the scanning
View Customer Balance
- View a report of all of the roll-off containers with a customer
- View the number of days each bin has been with a customer
- Click into delivery records for more details on a delivery